Thursday, September 2, 2021

The Value of Food Tracking

 It’s easier to type on the laptop, but the picture I want to share is here. Pictures also make my display go wonky, so it will have to wait until the end.

I decided to track today.  I made the decision more than once; first, when I tracked my coffee creamer before work. Then, after I was done eating for the day.

Oh, yeah, I had that breakfast. I had forgotten. Oh, yeah, I hit the vending machine. More forgotten food. Relatively healthy foods for lunch. I didn’t want my banana. I didn’t want my greens. A challenging but successful day at work. Consciously choosing Doritos and ice cream for dinner. I knew I would be over any calorie allowance.

It’s good to raise my food consciousness as I work through busy days and don’t give much thought to consumption. Today, I am not paying attention to the carb-fat-protein ratio. I’m a rather detached observer noting my unconscious consumption, and consumption likely designed to stuff down thoughts and feelings that get in the way of being valued by my work place. Don’t get me wrong - I love my job - but the honesty I love is a two-edged sword. Today I used it well with a coworker: “It’s probably better for me to be at the desk at that time, since I’m better at saying no.” We both knew it was true. And the public complied well when I set the parameter: “We don’t start until the others leave.” I gave a rational, not arbitrary, reason. People are a lot better than they are portrayed....anywhere. We need to choose our heroes carefully. That’s why I have a Yovanovitch shirt. She did her job. She told the truth. She was brave. Omg, I googled to make sure I spelled her name right and learned there’s a book! But boy have I digressed.

Here’s the disastrous day. No, here’s the day. Here’s the honesty of my day’s consumption, as it is, learn what I can from it - both on the page and in my head and heart. Tomorrow is a new day. Oh, I’m going to have to add the Emerson quote, too. Here’s hoping this works!


 







12 comments:

  1. It's an ongoing journey .. we make the choices, we make the changes we reap the benefits :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good thing is you recognize it. Remember tomorrow is a brand new day. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are days...and then there are days.

    Really like the Emerson quote. Here's to tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, tracking is pretty important if you want to control or change something -It’s pretty much impossible until you establish a baseline...

    Stressful external circumstances have historically been a challenge for me. Hang in there! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to see your choices right in front of you written down. It does help to make better and better choices too. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't get to this one until now. Well done... both honesty AND putting it behind. I often find for myself that once I'm honest about a bad day (or as another blog responder put it a bad 20 minutes that we milked all day)... I can move on.

    Each day, fresh and new. And Happy Anniversary, which I forgot to include in my comment on your blog from this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, sure hope today is a better day for you. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tracking keeps me honest although as long as my weight is stable I tend to skip it. Now I'm tracking again to deal with the "injury gain"
    Just track it, own it and move on. Best to be honest and not delude ourselves. That never ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I refuse to track. But I recognize is the best tool we have to control how much we eat. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m also a Cronometer user. I started tracking again on September 1st. It works for me. I ate freely in July and August and my clothes did get tighter. I’m getting back to my maintenance weight. Tracking works! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all have days like this. I just joined Cronometer and am just getting used to it. I didn't feel the nutrition tracker on people one health gave me all of the information that I wanted so we shall see.

    ReplyDelete

Here Comes the Sun

I wash my hands and gaze at my painted nails, and I realize that I “feel” those 13 additional minutes of sunlight gained in January (in leng...