Friday, January 21, 2022

Goldilocks Goals

 I feel like my New Years Resolutions (aka restaurant lotions because of a hilarious autocorrect) are for Goldilocks - one is too hard, one is too easy, and one is just right.

Too hard: Eat sitting down. Okay, I can do this. But it takes a lot of work and effort, and so far, I'm getting a failing grade. It is serving its purpose by raising my awareness of what I am eating and when and why.  Many of my "stand-up" foods are unnecessary dietary additions, and the impulse to eat them standing up is driven by emotions. I literally need to sit with my emotions, and keep that self-care (of feeling the emotions and letting them run their course) at a distance from the work of fueling my body-of choosing what to consume and sitting to consume it.

Too easy: No vending machines. This feels like how I think changing any habit will always go, but never does. Not only were the vending machine purchases junky and "stand-up" kinds of eating (stuffing down emotions with food), they created extra personal bookkeeping work that was a nuisance.  Killed two birds with one stone here by making and keeping this restaurant lotion.

Just right: Grateful every day. I forgot to write down something for January 19th, but in retrospect, I'll say I'm grateful to have survived that work day. A record-breaking amount of  'walk-in' work came in (no postponing it), a co-worker was absent, and a big special project was hard-deadline due. Still, we got it all done. But we bear the battle scars to prove it. 💓 Shout out to our great commander who could see the whole picture to organize it.

 Speaking of gratitudes, let's catch up:

1-18:  Today I am thankful to wake up before the alarm.

1-19: (forgot. survived brutal work day)

1-20: paper towels, toilet paper, kleenex

1-21: Today I am thankful for water.

6 comments:

  1. Yea, sometimes restaurant lotions are like that, too easy, or too hard and some just right.

    Glad that the gratitude daily is just right! That’s a good one to have right!

    Good luck on the sitting to eat, it takes practice, practice, practice.

    Here’s to a good Friday and good weekend.

    HUGS

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be extremely grateful for the water. Left three different faucets and the bathtub spigot running. This morning the water is frozen. Soooo ready for spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sitting with your emotions!
    I also am a grab and go eater. Making lunch? One for the sandwich, one for me...and I'm not having the sandwich! Just one cracker as I rummage for something; no, wait, try another cracker just to be sure.
    What AM I looking for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, survival is a great gratitude. Said by the sister who is surviving "isolation" and grateful to have got to "day 4" with apparently lessening symptoms. Crossing fingers that that part stays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to eat distracted, so I hear you on the sitting down 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  6. It took working "The Beck Diet Solution" pink copy on a Spark Team for me to finally start sitting down to eat. I have a variety of place-mats and recalled Home Economics classes about setting a proper table so I incorporate that in my daily routines. Many years ago most of my eating while sitting was in my car when leaving a fast food drive-through.

    Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete

Here Comes the Sun

I wash my hands and gaze at my painted nails, and I realize that I “feel” those 13 additional minutes of sunlight gained in January (in leng...