Thursday, August 22, 2024

August 22: Aging

Today I am grateful that I am not as adverse to aging as many people are. Or, as I thought to myself earlier this year, "My wrinkles are coming in nicely."

My thoughts turn toward the future as I wish to empty the house. Marie Kondo wrote a wonderful book, but doesn't really deal with living with other people who have no desire to shed possessions. Sigh.

Today I am grateful that people call me 'dear' with kindness. I am grateful that others will excuse me for calling them 'dear'. I find it can be a nice term in the world of customer service and just genuine human kindness.

Today I am thankful that other humans give me a more pleasant face when I'm wearing my wig. Do we write off older people as set in their ways and not giving a fart about social niceties? That would be a real shame. Do we stereotype them as crochety and unpleasant? Again, what a pity. Not every aging person can be the gregarious extrovert, but that doesn't mean us quiet ones are surly by nature. At least not all of us 😉.



4 comments:

  1. LOL! I represent that meme! I don't feel old. At least not every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about you...but I've earned every one of those wrinkles and wear them proudly. 😉😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Yes, the wrinkles and gray hair are both testaments to the wisdom learned over the years, and I would not trade that in for anything! And for sure, it is a HUGE mistake to write the ‘older generation’ off. We have LOTS to offer! And, it has to be remembered that someday those same people will age!

    Oh I think calling someone dear is a very nice thing! I agree w/you. . . I think it shows genuine kindness.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember bristling the first time someone called me ma'am. Now I wear it proudly. I earned it! My mother used to say age was a question of mind over matter...if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete

September 22: Two restrooms

Today I am grateful we have more than one bathroom. For two people with very different sleep schedules, it’s amazing how frequently we need ...