Saturday, July 10, 2021

Do. Not. Take. Anything. For. Granted.

As I type that, isn't taking things for granted the definition of entitlement? Hmm. Back to my original track ...

I have been cleared to increase my distance slightly. Although the hip isn't 100 percent, it's been essentially pain free between two visits. No e-stim this time, and I iced at home.

*paused* Thank you for the accountability! I just realized I've been up for 3 hours and hadn't done my first set of stretches. 👊 Done!

Of course, me being me, I want to increase my distance AND ... AND... AND.  I stopped myself. No jogging in this 1.6 miles (I snuck in half a block once this week, on a whim and feeling good); let's see how things feel with time. I discovered the route I'd plotted included what really wasn't a street, but an alleyway, and there was a piece of heavy equipment in it this morning, so I may need to re-plot a route. The hip requested ice, so I did ten minutes of that. I can tell that body part's been utilized - but no pain so far!

The PTA predicted I may only need 8 of the 12 visits. No carts in front of horses here; I'll take it as it comes.

I really didn't realize the progress I've made until the PTA went through questions: Any trouble or pain getting into or out of a car? No. I didn't remember having any, but her records say otherwise!  That's something I take for granted 😮

Any trouble getting dressed, or with daily routine? Now that I remember! Besides the inability to walk - and the death of my "90 minute or more of (recorded) exercise per week" streak - 83 weeks - poof! - I remember delicately balancing to minimize hip pain while trying to scoop a sock onto a foot. That's not happening now. Yay! 

I described my hip's needs to my younger coworker. She looked at me with fear and worry as she gently asked, "Will you have to do this ... "

"...for the rest of my life?" I finished for her. "Probably," I said. I remember being younger and fearing the sentence of being impaired for life. Like the oh, no, do I have to eat right and exercise for the whole rest of my life?!? LOL. Maybe as I get older, the rest of my life is less ominous to do something. Especially if it improves my quality of life. Like the hearing helpers.

"I haven't asked them, and they haven't told me," I continued. "But I figure I need to use this hip for the rest of my life, so I'll probably need to pay attention and do the exercises to keep it strong and working." A few clamshells several days a week and daily stretching is a small price to pay! Especially if I get to gradually walk longer distances.

Have a great day, friends! 💗


7 comments:

  1. Yes, love your attitude -- it's like " do I have to floss my teeth every day for the rest of my life?" Uh, no: only the teeth I'd like to KEEP for the rest of my life!! It's worth it for sure -- and I've just signed up for a somatics assessment with hopes of improving my right hip/knee function without surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Maybe as I get older, the rest of my life is less ominous to do something. Especially if it improves my quality of life."

    Oh boy. There's a LOT of wisdom, there. I'm still learning that lesson... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the rest of your life is a very long time.
    Yes, we have to do all those things to enjoy that time.
    Like my doctor said about my dad not taking his cholesterol medication:
    "He needs to take it so he doesn't have a stroke and linger in a nursing home. I want him to live well, then drop dead."
    I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with OJ... I want to live well, then drop dead! Today I'm celebrating outliving Mom by two full years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You gave me lots to think about today. Starting with the realization that I have reached the point (age) of having (& adding to) a "rest of my life" list. Putting those clam shells back into my routine...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Living well takes a lot of effort, less when we smile through it. If I thought grumbling would help, I'd be there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh for sure, it seems less daunting now to face doing something the rest of my life than when I was in my 20's to 50's. Somehow as I've gained age, I've gained the wisdom to appreciate how much my body does for me, so . . . have to play nice when it has a request!

    Hugs
    barb

    ReplyDelete

Here Comes the Sun

I wash my hands and gaze at my painted nails, and I realize that I “feel” those 13 additional minutes of sunlight gained in January (in leng...