Saturday, August 17, 2024

The Barbie Movie, grocery store deli, and intuitive eating

Today I am thankful for the Barbie movie. Last year, it kept my spirits up, and was a fun and entertaining wild ride for me. I thought it would be an easy holiday gift for DH to get for me ... BUT he was hospitalized and the holidays did not go as planned. I finally picked up a copy for myself this summer, and watched it again. While it was still entertaining, it hit different this summer: I found it problematic, to be simultaneously rejecting AND reinforcing stereotypes, and I missed my neighbor from times gone by with whom I could have had a lengthy discussion about it.


Today I am also grateful for the grocery store deli, preparing foods to a greater extent than I would, so I could have a tasty lunch. I am grateful for intuitive eating, which had me pair a fresh apple with the pasta salad I purchased.  Makes me feel at least a little balanced with my consumption.

Have a great day!  Hugs & love, Ace

4 comments:

  1. Time passes, perspectives change. I'm always revisiting first impressions, second impressions... etc. Glad you're feeling balanced. I shall rely on that image when I head to the ballpark later today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to agree. The Barbie movie had some perplexing messages, and some good ones. I have to watch it again and pay attention more.

    Sounds like a good day. HOPE so!

    hugs
    barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watched the Barbie movie with teen-age DGD. It was not at all what I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally saw the movie last December. I was entertained and enjoyed it as a musical and for the more adult moments. The messaging was off as others have noted but I didn't find it as off-putting as my childhood experiences as a girl!!!!! I came from "College degrees are a waste as you'll stay home with kids". Tell that to my two degrees and my retirement from a science management position. Yep, I raised two kids, too! They had Barbies but also She-Ra dolls, princesses of power!

    ReplyDelete

September 22: Two restrooms

Today I am grateful we have more than one bathroom. For two people with very different sleep schedules, it’s amazing how frequently we need ...